Telescope pier for fixed location

Aloittaja siovene, 12.10.2010, 13:45:06

« edellinen - seuraava »

siovene

Hello,
has anybody in the capital area built some sort of pier of their scopes, and willing to help me with mine?
I have no experience with DIY stuff and I'm looking for a fellow astronomer willing to give me a hand in the design and realization in exchange of free food and beer for the length of the project, or a payment in money, if you want :)

I'm in Espoo.

Thanks!

Kaizu

I have collected links to my known Finnish amateur observatory sites.
http://www.kaiforssen.fi/Suomesta%20loytyneita%20tahtitorneja.htm
Check those. In some of them are shown also the pier constructions.

Here the frost in winter time is the special thing that troubles the pier erecting a little. If you can erect your pier on the bedrock, then it is easy. Just drill few bolts and cast the concrete pier so that the iron bolts are in there. If your site is on wet clay, then you have litle more job, and even then you have to adjust the mount every now and then. The frost can be avoided by isolation or by digging the pier deep enough (more than 1,7m in Southern Finland). The other harm is that the clay also moves depending the wetness. The clay shriks when it dryes and vice versa.
If you erect the pier on gravel, then it's enough that you can conduct the water away to keep the site dry. The dry gravel don't freeze.

The advices you can get but the digging isn't for whites.

Kaizu
Kai Forssen